Wednesday, July 25, 2007

A recent tender mercy!

Most everyone who knows me knows that I am passionate about art. My major is Art History and I'm enjoying being involved with the Museum of Art on campus at BYU.

Recently I was kind of getting down on myself because thoughts were entering my head that I'm devoting my studies to something that is purely selfish and doesn't help anyone be a better person or help further the Kingdom of God on earth.
Then I had a real awakening experience that filled me with joy. Heavenly Father blesses his children with talents. He expects us to develop them and use them to serve others. I haven't necessarily been blessed as an artist, but I've been blessed with a desire to embrace beauty and learn from it- to let it shape my life and teach others how they can be shaped by it too. As a museum professional I'll be gathering thought-provoking pieces of artwork from artists and giving them the opportunity to share their talents. I'll have opportunities to teach through art which is one of my favorite things to do! "If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things."

Ok so that is my dream. I'm planning to go to graduate school. I am most interested in Sotheby's Institute of Art. It's based in London but has a campus in New York and also in Singapore (but I'm not really interested in going to Singapore!) but New York and London sound great. (Because it's based from the University of Manchester in England the GRE is not required for admission!) I am most interested in the Contemporary Art MA but also interested in Fine and Decorative Arts MA. This school is hard to get in to, so I'm not putting all my eggs in this one basket! I'm also looking into BYU master's in Art History and some other schools in Museum Studies. Here's the link to Sotheby's if you want to check it out! http://www.sothebysinstitute.com


4 comments:

Brian and Marilee said...

Thanks for your comment! I am really proud of your great dreams. It is really important to go after what you want, especially now when there is nothing stopping you. You never want to look back with regret so as long as you follow your heart and your heart is tune with the Lord you can't go wrong. Your amazing and I am so glad to call you a friend!!!

Becca said...

Yeah Maggie! Good luck with all of your dreams!

Alisa said...

That's cool Maggie!! You do have such a talent. I admire you for embracing it!!

Jordan said...

You Go Girlfriend! Follow your dreams! You are having some amazing experiences you'll never forget or regret! Much Love Sista!
Jordan