So as part of my job, I answer the main phone line to the museum. Anyone with any kind of question comes to me. I get frantic phone calls from women screaming at each other in a car while speeding down 395 trying to hear each other over the voice of the GPS because they are lost and need to know which exit to take. I get the everyday, "Which metro stop do I use?" or "How late are you open?"
Then there's the crazy people. I mean CRAZY. Interested? Read the following dialogue of the call I just extricated myself from.
Ring. Ring.
I answer using the name of the museum as a salutation
Caller: Excuse me?
Maggie: (I repeat myself)
Caller: Is this Emily?
Maggie: No
Caller: I need to talk to the registrar named Emily
M: No one is here by that name
Caller: Well that's who they told me to talk to. I don't think they would lie to me about that. What's your name?
M: Maggie
Caller: Excuse me?
M: My name is Maggie
Caller: Well Maggie, can I talk to the curator?
M: There are several curators here. What is the nature of your question? It will help me to know who you should talk to.
Caller: You don't have a curator?!
M: We have several.
Caller: oh ok cuz I was like, "What?!" Is it possible for me to talk to one?
M: It's best if you talk to me first and I can help you from there.
Caller: Well Maggie, I painted a picture for a friend who accepted it into his collection. He bequeathed his entire collection to the Smithsonian. So I need to know if I have a painting there. (except it took much longer to tell me that whole situation)
M: It sounds like it would be best if you write a letter and mail it to us. I'll be sure the right person gets it. Do you want the address?
Caller: I have another question. Maggie, I want to paint a portrait of Barack, Michelle, and the Obama girls and the Portugese Waterdog. Who do I need to talk to about that?
M: Include that question in your letter.
Caller: Is it possible that I could be commissioned for his presidential portrait?
M: We already have a portrait of President Obama.
Caller: (very sad) Oh. Who's the artist? Was it commissioned since he's been president?
M: Shepard Fairy is the artist. It was done before Obama was president, but gifted to our museum in conjunction with the Inauguration.
Caller: How do you spell that? S-h-e-p-p-e-r-d F-e-r-r-y?
M: S-h-e-p-a-r-d- F-a-i-r-y
Caller: OH Fairy. I think I've heard of him. I have one last question, Maggie. Can you add me to your mailing list?
M: You can go to our website and sign up for it.
Caller: I don't have a computer. Will you at least take down my information and add me to your list.
M: ok
Caller: promise?
M: yes. I'm ready
Caller: My name is Sundance Etienne Latour Genore Hughes Shepperd. (spells out every single letter) That's my full name. Here's my address: ....... and phone number...... I'm an artist. I'm an artist of fine arts, visual arts, performance arts, exotic arts. I'm also a spiritual healer. Did you get all that?
M: ok I got it. Thank you.
SELGHS: Oh god bless you. God bless your posterity and your family. I leave you with my blessing of good vibrations and happiness and well-being and all things wonderful.
M: (I'm covering my mouth trying so hard not to burst out laughing) Thank you. Goodbye.
I'm not even joking but the actual conversation was so much worse. I gave you the digest version of it. I have NO IDEA if I was talking to a man or a woman. I was so embarrassed for anyone to overhear my end of the conversation!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Wow.
Wow.
I would really love to meet herrrrim
blessings! awesome!
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!! SERIOUSLY. FREAKING. HILARIOUS.
omgosh maggie... sooooo funny!!!! keep these stories comin' you made my day!
Did I read correctly that the person told you they were a spiritual healer?? Maybe he/she is acquainted with Craig McManus of Cape May. I really hope so.
That was hilarious. I love that be blessed you with good vibrations.
bahahahahah! At least your job isn't boring! :)
Oh my good gosh. That is classic.
Wow, that actualy reminds me of some conversations I had on the mission.
haha! I love it! Reminds me of answering phone calls from constituents calling the Capitol! Miss you Maggs!
haha! I love it! Reminds me of answering phone calls from constituents calling the Capitol! Miss you Maggs!
i have dealt with this "person"!!!!! he/she just sent us a letter and a few business cards!!! lol
poodles & pekingese!! <--- his/her favorite phrase almost like "good vibrations" lol :)
i'm glad someone else has sundance in their lives xoxo
Post a Comment