Tuesday, July 06, 2010

NewPort/Haven

Introducing: A Roadtrip to Paradise
The Cast: Ruthie, Kelli,

Maggie, and Wendy 
The Setting: Atlantic Ocean!

and a morning stroll through Yale University



Points of Interest: The Breakers




Chateau Sur Mer


The Elms

Rosecliff



and Marble House

Kelly pulled me aside at a Valentine's Day dinner and mentioned the words, "trip" "Newport" "Mansions" and "Memorial Weekend" and I was done. DONE. No need to go on. I'm in.

With such a great group of girls, wonderful weather, perfect accommodations, and fabulous sights to behold, you'd think there would have been at least one thing that went wrong. But I can't think of a single off moment. We even began and ended the trip with Chik-fil-a. I'm telling you, it was perfect.

And now, I will grace you with images of our blissful trip.

The Breakers was my favorite for the following reasons: 1) It was the first mansion we saw so it was all so new and exciting 2) Pure tasteful grandeur 3) The family who lived here were happy, humble, and loved each other 4) This is the family home of Nate Archibald on Gossip Girl
























We walked along this beautiful stone wall to our next Mansion where we discovered the most enchanting tree.


Then made our way to the Elms. This was my second favorite mansion because of the airy garden feel as well as the graceful ballroom. The gardens are its signature.












After The Elms, we wandered through Newport's shops and restaurants and enjoyed the ocean air.
















Our second day on the island was sun drenched and I couldn't help capturing some of Newport's beauty:
 

Our first stop was Rosecliff, my third favorite, though I think of it as the 80s mansion- it's that outrageous. You'd have to see the white and red heart shaped staircase to understand.


















The last mansion we saw was Marble House. I was turned off by the character of the woman who owned this place and her preoccupation with appearing to be the best at everything. Her house felt gaudy and artificial.






After the mansions we did the Cliff Walk and saw some gorgeous views both on land and off.




Then hit the town again!











And now Yale (Can I just be Rory Gilmore Please?):



















The End

10 comments:

Lauren said...

OMG. This seriously looks amazing. Apparently, weekend trips with you are always divine!

P.S. You look glamorous!

Jaclyn said...

Maggie you should have come say hello if you were going to be in the neighborhood. My mansion was right in between those others you saw!!!! What an incredible trip, I'm crazy jealous. So glad you get to do so many fun things.

Wendy said...

Loved Newport. Love YOU.

Shan said...

Wow! That's all I can say. How beautiful!

Kelli Burton said...

it's true. it was perfect.

I think we all need to make another memorial day trip together next year..I have some ideas for a trip down south to some artsy, beautiful places..

AdrianneJayne said...

Looks like a dream! I wish we could do something fun like this sometime!!

Megan said...

Okay, seriously!!! I SO want to be Rory Gilmore myself!!! And hello?!? PLEASE tell me those first two mansions rent out their property for wedding receptions. Could you IMAGINE?!? So, so gorgeous. I'm jealous but still happy you had such a good time!

Erin said...

That looked like such a fun trip! Things like that make me pine for East Coast living. Not that I don't love hiking and the like, but you know.

lisa said...

I love that you mentioned that it began and ended with Chic Fila. I totally get you.

Also, Kelli and I went to London together on a study abroad back in the day--I love it when friends meet friends.

jenny said...

You are ROCKIN that center part.