Thursday, December 09, 2010

Shoes You This Day: Imagine

12.8.10
fountain.lights.shoe
Washington DC Temple


two thoughts:
1) I heart John Lennon. I wish I still had the clay head I sculpted in high school art class. I came home from college one year to find my mom had lovingly displayed it in our house and I think I threw it away without telling her because I was embarrassed. Been listening to his and Yoko's "Happy Christmas" song.

2) What if the current controversy at my work (Sorry, no details or links. Do you know what I'm talking about? What? You haven't read every. single. article. like I have?) wasn't about offending Christians, or about censorship or leadership or freedom of speech?

What if during our staff meeting today when we were encouraged to share our opinions about the debacle, instead of sitting there silently begging my thoughts to come up with a coherent opinion, like I'm sure Lindsey would have been awesome at doing, What if I had stood up and said this:

I love a powerful crucifixion or descension of Christ scene. Art History is full of them. But I feel much better while viewing the Pieta, which I LOVE, than I did when I watched the piece causing this controversy. It made me feel icky. But you know what the amazing and absolutely true thing it? Regardless of how you portray Christ's sufferings and WHY you're doing it and for WHAT purpose you are using those images, the constant truth is that Christ really did descend below all things. He suffered your sufferings, plus paid the price for our selfish sins. So, the subject matter at the heart of all this controversy is in reality the one and only thing that really matters in this life. I say let's treat it respectfully. 

The End.


2 comments:

LMemory said...

A couple of thoughts for my dear friend Maggie:
- Thanks for the shout-out, you are so kind. I really think you about said it all, though. The most important part, at least: the Savior and those who fervently believe in him deserve as much respect and consideration as those to whom the rest of the show was geared. It is a family institution, funded in part by citizens of the United States. Tolerance and respect needed to be used to ensure that everyone could walk away from that exhibit with their world enhanced.
-It's a shame the video went up and then had to go down, if it had just never gone up there wouldn't have been this big of a conundrum. Just one surly post by Tyler Green mentioning it.
-Tyler Green's multitude of rants about the topic literally make me want to scream. So belligerent, so one-sided, and definitely intolerant.
- I was at the temple last night too!!! Wish I could have seen you there...
- I'm loving Shoes you this day.
- When is Paris???
- from your last post: did you do the black laquer on that table? It's gorgeous!!!!

Love,
Linds

Ruthie said...

Well said mon amie!