On our 6th day, we moved from the apartment we were renting in the 15th arrondissement. This was the view from the roof. It was such a great location.
We moved to an apartment father outside the city in St. Denis. It was in a sketchier part of town, but Bremen's colleague was kind to let us stay there for practically free. The apartment was really nice and much more spacious. We were grateful for it.
After moving up there we grabbed a train to Versailles...
Let's just say that I'm Marie Antoinette's biggest fan. I really do admire her. I bought Antonia Fraser's biography of the queen at Shakespeare and Co. and reading that made my visit to the chateau that much more meaningful.
This was my favorite part of the trip. It only would have been better if it had been a private tour. That pic of me to the upper left with my arms flung out was me complaining about how the Palace was "SO much worse than Mona Lisa!" Darn Italians and Japanese.
We went home to this:




4 comments:
So magical at night.
I love that biography. I thought it was really well done. I've been meaning to read her book on Warrior Queens . . .so many books to read!
Just stay there forever so I can marvel at your beautiful pics :)
I love that biography too, ps- did you know she and her mother were two of the historical figures that appeared with the signers of the declaration of independence to Wilford Woodruff?? When I went on my study abroad, armed with that mormon tidbit and the Fraser book, I was selling Marie antoinette-as-saint to every one of my classmates who visited Versailles with me!
Oh I so wish I had experienced this with you! Such greta photos. Memories to treasure forever! We have to go to Paris together sometime! Miss you! Come back to DC soon!!!! S'il te plait? :)
never seen winter pics @ versailles. I like it.
Post a Comment