After 10 years I am suddenly feeling urges to paint my nails blue and white and dig out all my bluejay inspired clothing. Something about Raytown High School brings out the SPiRiT machine in me. This weekend I am going to my 10 year reunion. I will get to see lots of old friends and tap back into a life I once LOVED but have since moved on, as so many of us have.
I have a lot of thoughts about going to this reunion. One is that it requires vulnerability. We are all 10 years older and probably look 10 years older as well. I know I do. I am still single and have no husband or cute kids to show off. But being vulnerable opens you up to new friendships and experiences so it is a beautiful thing.
Another thought is it is such an expository experience. We show up to share with everyone what we have done with our lives. Probably no one really cares anyway, but you feel a little accountable for the last 10 years.
My other thoughts are that I want to support this event with enthusiasm and with no judgement. I loved high school. I want to show up to this and throw my arms around the people I was friends with 10 years ago. I want everyone else to feel the same way. I don't want anyone to stay away so they can prove how moved on they are. I hope we all let our guard down and just show up and support each other.
So tonight I'm packing up all my blue and white clothes and counting down the hours until I arrive in Kansas City!
I also get to spend mucho time with my parents and visit the new Kansas City Temple for the first time.
Wednesday, August 15, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Have a blast!!
I hope you have a wonderful time!!! You will NOT be alone in the single-lady department, as few people I saw at my reunion had a spouse or kids. It'll be weird--I'll predict (as this is how my reunion went) that the girls will look pretty much the same but the guys will look like MEN! And sometimes in a weird way!
I didn't have a good experience at my reunion, but I didn't like HS by the end, and a lot of people were very unfriendly once I joined the church. Literally only two people talked to me there--the wife of a kid so shy he never once spoke to me in school, and my nemesis from middle school and on, who gloated the whole time about her successes. It was literally the most awkward, mortifying moment in my LIFE--i've never had so little to say! plus, I weighed 30 extra pounds from just having a baby and felt miserable about myself. It didn't help.
However, the people I knew that loved HS had a great time catching up and seeing all the changes in each other. I hope you do, too!!! You lead a very successful, enviable life and have had such interesting experiences--I know you'll shine.
I can't wait to read about your HS reunion. Everything you do is with style and flare. You inspire me every day. I'm sorry that only Dan got to have dinner with you in June, I wish I had been there too. I miss you. I'm so excited for Adrianne's shower this weekend and getting my fill of the Leak Ladies. Wish you were here.
Wow. Good attitude. I just got the planning evite for my tenth reunion and my first, second, and final thoughts were: No husband, not going. Gimme ten more years before I face that crowd.
Maybe it also has to do with the fact that I hated high school...
... but the point of my comment is to tell you, you have a point about being vulnerable. Maybe I'll take your lead. Maybe.
Post a Comment