Saturday, June 14, 2008

"God is in the Details"


Really and Truly my favorite part of my ward's trip to the Manti Pageant was the opportunity I took to walk around the Temple grounds and look at all the wonderful details of the Temple. As many of you know I'm an art history nerd and so I can't help but be amazed at the what these early Mormon pioneers accomplished. We know that missionaries were sent to Europe to study architecture and art in order to create these beautiful edifices in the middle of the desert. The European influence is very evident in the Manti Temple.

My friend Caranine described on her blog the following experience: "Walking around with Maggie was especially fun, because we have both studied art history extensively. So we were identifying the architectural influences and using haughty, snotty, artsy words like "Mansard roof", "facade", and "battlements" to our hearts' content- and actually understanding each other."

When I read that I cracked up because it was so true and I loved every minute of it! There are very few people in my life that I can have those conversations with!

Now I understand what the appeal of the Manti Temple is! It is awesome!








5 comments:

CS said...

aw!!! you remembered the god is in the details comment! so true- and i love the picture arrangement you made of the temple. beautiful!!!! :) you're so awesome.

AdrianneJayne said...

Your trip looks so fun! Does this mean that the pink camera is working for you now!? The pictures of Jordan's party makes me miss Utah SO MUCH! I will be there soon...

Sheryl said...

What a wonderful post. Thanks Mags!

HJolley said...

whenever i am in the same room as a fellow english major, everyone else leaves. i feel your pain.

Katie M. Brown said...

oh how i miss the days of KHS and being able to go to the temple all the time to see the symbolism....how are you maggie??? you look cuter than ever.