Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Caution: another homeless post

Imagine with me the following experience...

I was almost to work, but stopped at the last crosswalk before I get to the museum at Independence and 7th. Out of the corner of my eye I see someone near a row of bushes lining the Department of Transportation building near me. Then I hear, "Excuse me, Miss." I look up to see a homeless man walking towards me, hand out stretched offering me a twig held between his thumb and first finger. The twig had tiny little yellow buds on it. He had the biggest toothless grin on his face I've ever seen. My immediate reaction was to quickly look away and say, "No thank you." He went back to gathering more twigs.

All day I've had thoughts of the scene from Enchanted where Giselle sits with the homeless man and says, "OH MY! You have a lovely smile." And then he runs off with her tiara. This experience along with yesterday's post are more reasons why I ignore homeless people.

2 comments:

Mare said...

I love the post yesterday when I read your first homeless story I thought of Giselle started cracking up when I read you thought of her today too. I never can understand the homeless and how when you apparently will eat out of garbages to survive they are picky with what others give them.

I have resorted to being an airhead and pretending to not see them so I don't feel guilt from not helping and then anger from my little contribution to their life.

Sounds like you are enjoying DC. I am so jealous I wish I could travel there. Actually anywhere would be nice but DC especially!

AdrianneJayne said...

That is so sweet! You should've taken the "flower" and maybe he could've been your Valentine... toothless smile and all!