I love that it stays lighter later now. There are days where I'm working (not very hard all day) and I look out the window and then look at the clock and it's 6 pm. Flowers are blossoming. Cherry Blossoms are here. I went to see the new Jane Eyre (beautiful, expressive) last weekend and there was a stunning scene with a cherry tree in full blossom like you see all around DC. I heard the theatre erupt in whispers, "Cherry Blossoms!" It made me realize this city loves it's cherry blossoms. It is proud of them and takes ownership of them. Cherry Blossoms will forever hereafter remind me of Washington DC. Our Relief Society's spring theme is "bloom." We talked about what it means to bloom. My favorite response came from lynn who said blooming happens when a person is already wonderful and living their potential and then something wonderful happens to them and "poof!" an even brighter more beautiful aura begins to surround that person. I leaned over to wendy and said, "That's you."
I had a job interview today at George Washington University. I was on the red line taking the metro to Dupont Circle, when at one of the stops my last supervisor at npg steps in the door right where I'm sitting. I excitedly say hello and she sits by me and we talked and talked. She told me she is drowning and is overwhelmed and broke down to her boss a few days ago saying she needs help. She's always wanted me to be her assistant. I told her I would go back in a heart beat and I wish I could still be there. I told her to keep in touch with me and let me know if anything changes. I told her I will be going to GW in the fall doing the museum studies program with an emphasis in collections management. I'll be required to do internships, so that may be a good way for me to go back to npg. It kind of felt good to tell her that in the 3 months I've been away I went to Paris, decided to go to grad school, got accepted to grad school, and I was on my way to a job interview. It made me feel less pathetic. Is it a coincidence that I ran into my last supervisor on the way to a job interview? It helped me know I still have feelings for my old job; I loved the work there, and that line of work is where I want to end up. The interview went well. I always get so dressed up and spend hours preparing for tough interview questions. I met with two men and it was very casual and easy going. We talked March Madness, Jimmer, Brandon Davies, BYU, and the Smithsonian. We talked about what I'd be doing. They showed me around. The best part? I'd been practicing what to say about balancing work and school; they told me that they EXPECT me to use the tuition benefits and they will be flexible with my school schedule. They said I'll probably want to bring my schoolwork to work with me. It all sounds like exactly what I need. I do hope I get this job.
Tuesday, March 22, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Sounds AWESOME Maggie! Good job!!
Maggie! I didn't know about any of these new events in your life! I think YOU are blossoming. I love you and miss you. Keep me updated!
p.s. I get my mission call this weekend or next week!!
good luck dear. i didn't realize you decided on GW. any chance you'll move to the va side?
SO glad to hear about your interview!
oh I do hope you get this job!
GW best be paying you a salary and benefits while you go to school.
One big, huge YAY from me!
Such an awesome non-coincidence to run into your former supervisor on the way to a job interview! Love hearing about your excitement for your life and the direction it's taking. You are so incredibly deserving!
Maggie--I'm a bit confused. You're living a life that sounds romantic, challenging, varied, exciting, broadening, and creative. You have an amazing job, future master's work, and gorgeous shoes. And you got to go back to Paris. Yet you feel pathetic?!?
My sweet friend, I spend my days and weeks in the company of a girl whose favorite word is "no," which she uses to respond to EVERY QUESTION I ASK, and a girl who spends every afternoon screaming in a way that makes me want to put her in her crib, walk out the door and down the street, AND NEVER COME BACK. And this afternoon I discovered that I'd spent all morning with baby oatmeal on my leg. I make a continual circuit to Walmart, Target, DI, the library, the mall playground, and the aquarium just to leave the house. And I get paid for NONE of this.
So. Who's pathetic again?!?
Post a Comment