Here's the deal with my hometown. My physical address was Kansas City and I claim KC as my hometown. We had a straight shot to downtown KC and spent my entire growing up life making memories there. I also grew up within walking distance to the KC Chiefs and Royals stadiums and would watch the Friday night fireworks out my bedroom window during baseball season. But really I lived only a block away from Raytown and went to Raytown schools. I loved it.
So when I went home recently, I spent some time with Lacey and we hit the streets of Raytown like we were 15 again...walking. But this time for the fun of it and because we are used to it now after living in big cities. One thing I love about little ol' Raytown is that (big) parts of it are still stuck in the 50s. Most of my friends grew up in unassuming split level homes in the middle of quiet, friendly neighborhoods with back yards full of swingsets and tree houses. The "downtown" section of Raytown (where they have the annual Raytown Round Up Days festival) is full of funky signs and neons. I want to do a coffe table project. Here's some I pulled off the internet:
Lacey and I walked past all of these places and stopped into Fox's Drug, which has been around for over 70 years. I'm so glad the people in the pic above have the same appreciation for this place. We got breakfast at the soda counter. It is so old fashioned and everything you imagine it would be. And not in a kitschy way. In a "this is just how we've always done it" way. It was my first time going inside, but Lacey used to go with her Grandparents all the time. They were Raytown people through and through.
Back to DC: Here's some shots from my cell phone.
#1 an adorable porch on Capitol Hill
#2 at the Memorial Day celebration on the lawn of the Capitol. I bawled.
#3 First stop on our Georgetown Cupcake Crawl. Georgetown Cupcake.
#4 I'm allowing myself to eat desserts again and just in time for Serendipity III to open in Georgetown. Ruth and I went last Friday night and got a huge sundae that we couldn't even eat half of. But it was AHmazing and I'm glad I don't have to go to NYC anymore for Serendipity!
I also just want to let you know that I'm finishing up my challenge of no clothing repeats and I've gone longer than I thought I could. It will be 6 weeks of no repeating pants, dresses, and skirts. I will be going longer on tops, because I still have a ways to go there. It feels good to wear clothes I don't wear much and this challenge will help me decide if I want to get rid of some of them. Plus it makes it exciting it get to wear again something that I haven't worn in 6 weeks, especially if it was new and I've only worn it once so far.
Want to know a secret about today? I'm wearing a pair of pants that I bought about 3 years ago and haven't ever really worn them at all. Maybe once. But I sure don't remember ever wearing them. I probably shouldn't have bought them because they are too tight around the waist and too long. Well here's my secret. I hemmed them using gorilla tape and have the waist fastened with a rubber band and safety pin. New pants!!!




1 comment:
I apparently left too soon! Serendipity?! How nice. :) Miss you guys!
Post a Comment