Tuesday, November 12, 2013
4 posts in 1
We've reached that time of the semester where I'm paralyzed by the pressure of upcoming due dates. Like I have so much to do that I just stare off into space and start to shut down. It's more funny than alarming, and I always kick out of it and get done what I need to...praying for that now.
It's funny to hear classmates talk about a paper they are writing that's giving them trouble--a paper that isn't due until December 6. I'm like, "Oh you're working on that already? I won't be starting on that until Thanksgiving break. Why? Because of the other paper I have due the day before Thanksgiving and the 3 presentations I have to do between now and then."
What's even funnier is a groupmate who can't come early to an 11:10 am class because she has "a class the night before and it would be nice to get a full 8 hours of sleep." When she said that, I laughed out loud. Honey, some of us have night classes, attend even later meetings after that, fall into bed, and then go to their full-time job all before our 11:10 am class.
Every once in a while, I like to give updates on what I'm up to these days...listing it out helps me keep things organized in my head. Here's an update from earlier this year.
1) Still working full-time, including all day this Saturday :(
2) School. Getting pretty close to being done.
3) Serving in RS Presidency
4) Still working part-time with the Davidsons...right now just on Wednesday nights and occasional other times
5) Still transcribing a book manuscript...will be done by the end of the year.
6) Now working with a team to produce a photography exhibition in the DC area. Had our first meeting last night. I'm excited about it.
7) Thought the Albert H. Small Collection research would be over by now, but I've been asked to continue my research and write the label that will accompany the Priggs Map in the opening show of the GW Museum next fall
8) Looking into future job and internship opportunities...time consuming and emotionally taxing.
9) Oh yeah, and helping the Washington DC Stake youth with their youth conference this spring. I will be giving a fireside on Kirtland and accompanying the youth on their trip!
I think I'm addicted to "opportunity." I just can't say no and I don't want to! It also makes me think, what would I be willing to give all of this up for? A dream job? Marriage and family? These are difficult choices that I suppose can be best answered once I am actually in that situation, facing that decision. For now I continue to seek out opportunity.
The last thing on my mind today is "missing" someone, someplace, something. I feel like no matter where I live, I will always be missing a different part of my life. While living in DC, I miss Kansas City, Utah, Kirtland, Paris, and New York. If I ever leave DC, I think my heart will ache constantly. How do we best live life even while missing other aspects of it?
Sidenote: Somehow among my friends, I've developed a reputation for being a crazy hard sleeper, which couldn't be further from the truth. I'm a terrible sleeper! Especially when I have a ton on my mind which is all the time. I often wake up with crazy anxiety over something I said during the day before. But one interesting superpower of mine: I can remember exactly what I dreamt the night before, but only once the lights are out and my head hits the pillow the next night...something about finding myself in the exact same atmosphere brings it all back.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment