Friday, September 10, 2010

a very depressing post

I have two tomato plants that I've been cultivating since they were basically little spouts. They are now tall and strong plants and I love them and check on them frequently. They don't produce much. Last week there were three green Roma tomatoes growing. When I got back from Florida the biggest one had turned red! I was so excited. I kept checking on it to see if it was getting ripe. (Man those things take FOREVER to grow.) I've been refraining from buying tomatoes every time I go to the store because I keep thinking, "Just wait. You'll have your own soon enough." On Monday I checked and the red tomato was still a little hard. I decided to keep it on the vine to ripen a little more. On Wednesday after work I was so excited to pick my tomato. I got home and...

it was gone.


The next biggest green one was gone too.

I was instantly furious. I wondered if one of my roommates had picked it and eaten it. I wondered if a squirrel or bird had taken it. I'm on the third floor and there are no trees next to my balcony so I didn't think that was possible. So I asked one of my roommates if she knew of anything that could have happened to my tomato. She told me that the day before she noticed my plants were tipped over and half hanging over the edge of the balcony. The wind blew them over. I was sad, but relieved to know that someone hadn't eaten it. I asked her if it was crazy if I went down to the ground and looked for my tomatoes. She said it wasn't crazy. So the next day after work I went down there and I looked for it.

And found it.














it was being feasted upon by an army of ants.














i was so sad.

the green one is still unaccounted for.

This was my first attempt at growing vegetables and so far because of a freak accident I am failing. My plant currently has three more green tomatoes on it but I think it will take another few months before they are ready and they might not survive the cooling temperatures. I moved my plants off the table and to the floor of the balcony in the corner so they shouldn't get blown over again.

3 comments:

AdrianneJayne said...

This really puts me on the verge of tears!

Shan said...

Sad day! you've been waiting for those for forever!

The Wettstein Family said...

Boo. I'm sorry, Mags! On that note, Happy Birthday!