Thursday, August 11, 2011

totally digging this.

My hair has always taken to this type of coloring naturally. Dark on top, almost blonde towards the ends. Through college I hated it and a couple times a year dyed it as dark as can be to cover those faded ends. 

Well, I'm not ashamed anymore. 

I'm seeing and LOVING more and more images of girls rocking the two tones. I realize their looks are probably not natural, so someone out there is making big bucks to create this look. My hair won't look this good naturally either, so if I had some money to spare, I think I'd like to get this look professionally done.

Anyone know if this look has a name? Or is it just grown out highlights? How much would it cost to get done? Maintenance seems like it wouldn't be that bad.

update: my research says the look is called ombre (which is a trend that is permeating everything from floral arrangements, manicures, and cake- and in my mind over-done and on its way OUT) I kind of disagree that this is ombre though, because I'm not going for a subtle gradation, but more of a contrast from dark to light and top to bottom.

I love long hair. And my hair is longing to be loved! (I haven't washed it in...4 days?)

1 comment:

Rachel@ A Little Bit of Ray said...

I've also heard it called melting. Instead of the traditional foil highlights they "paint" the bleach directly on the hair to give it subtle gradation instead of the line. Its very grow out friendly and once my hair gets longer I want to do it too! I don't think this coloring technique will ever go out of style. Love it! Oh and I love your boards on Pinterest :)