Tuesday, September 11, 2012

10 Year Reunion

I've had a few requests to report on my 10 year high school reunion...so here goes.
Photobucket
Lacey and I got all done up together to go out. We got drinks and dinner at a little mexican restaurant in Westport near the place where the reunion was. We walked around a bit and I realized I do not know Kansas City as an adult. I don't know the nuanced neighborhoods, what they are called, what their history is, and what's good and where. I only know the childhood and teenager Kansas City which was so wonderful, but not complete.

We went to Harpo's and I walked in with a huge smile on my face, ready to greet everyone I saw. I was so excited. There were really only about 12 people in the room when I got there. I was so glad to see my friend Joe, who got up immediately to hug me. I said hi to a few other people then saw my friend Alison and was so excited to sit and chat with her. Joe, Ali, and I ran together for 4 years. We were like family through high school.

Here's a pic of Lacey, Alison, and me
Photobucket
It was so good to catch up and hear about some people's unexpected trials and how they overcame. We joke about how Facebook makes reunions obsolete, but I realized that is not true at all. People don't get very personal on Facebook and I learned a lot of things about people's lives that I had no idea about. And it's those personal conversations that only happen face to face that are so very meaningful.

I have to say I was a little disappointed in the immediate cliquing that took place even 10 years later. Yes of course I first chatted it up with my former best friends, but I made a point to bounce around the room and talk to most everyone. There were some people that sat in one place all night and made it seem like they were pretty unapproachable. Well that just strengthened my desire to walk right into their conversations and give them a hug and start asking them questions. One girl said to me, "You are the first person to come up to us all night." If there's one thing I've learned in the past 10 years it is how to approach people with an air of confidence. College, mission, munch and mingle, full time work, grad school, happy hour networking, speed dating, internships...those have made me who I am. So overall it was an ok time. Not the most exciting time of my life, but I'm glad I went.

I had 4 favorite conversations. 
1) When I approached my former friend (K) and was about to ask her if she remembered that we were best friends in Kindergarten and before I could even get the words out she turned to me and gushed, "OH MY GOSH do you remember when we played Koalas in the tree in my front yard?!" MAKE.MY.NIGHT

2) Personal conversation with (A) about life, relationships, and getting from point A to point B.

3) Wonderful conversation with (J) and his wife about his work at the MO attorney general's office and his wife's work as an art educator. Talked a lot about the church and how it has shaped my life and the state of Missouri.

4) Deeply personal conversation with former best friend (N) about horrible unexpected life changes, seeing through and past the stereotypes of Raytown homeboys, achieving goals, and holding out for the best. Not to mention some tummy aching laughs about our fabulous teenager shenanigans.

So much of high school for me was about figuring out who my real friends were and who I could trust. 10 years later, it's nice to know that even if you are not soul mate best friends you can still appreciate each other and learn from each other and remember the good times!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Playing koalas! I'm dying laughing; I love it!

I totally relate about not knowing your home town as an adult.