Friday, January 09, 2015

2014 Recap Part 2 + 2015 Theme

Nothing ever happens if you stay in your room. Nothing ever happens if you leave the party too soon. Never be a winner if you're not in the game. Nothing ever happens if you always play it safe. Make a little space and get out of your own way.

Ok, that's the chorus of the song that inspired my theme for 2014, which I pretty much shortened in my mind to nothing ever happens if you stay in your room.

2014...was a tough year. There were some definite highs like graduating, interning at the Phillips Collection, interviewing for jobs, running more, and taking two two-week vacations. But there were some hard things too. There couldn't have been a more appropriate theme to get me through some of those challenges. When I was holed up recovering from a disappointment, my theme nudged me to overcome. When I faced a decision to try something new or to play it safe, I tried to follow that voice in the back of my head.

Funny enough, I guess you can say I took this theme quite literally when I upped and moved out of my room in the Tenleytown house that I lived in for over three years. Nothing ever happens if you stay in your room. I had been wanting to move for a while, but I was paralyzed by the uncertainty of the unknown. I wanted something to happen, so I decided to move. I'm glad I did.

I'm still working towards making more things happen!

*************************************************************************************************************************************
 My theme for 2015 comes from a beautiful song on my January playlist called, "Slow and Steady," by Of Monsters and Men. The line that strikes me is, "I move slow and steady, but I feel like a waterfall." I like it because it reminds me that it's ok to move slow and steady towards my goals. I don't have to have everything I want right now. At the same time, I can FEEL rushes and spurts and constant flows that are intense and powerful. There's moving slow and steady. And there's feeling like a waterfall. Both are quite different from each other, but compliment each other. I want to honor my emotions more. For me, that will mean recognizing my emotions and expressing them in my journal. I want to develop stronger (positive) emotions, such as love. It will be nice to have this phrase in my mind to motivate me towards becoming a better person.

1 comment:

Lynnie said...

I appreciate your yearly themes so much. I find them inspiring because 1) you devote yourself to them and as such they actually make a noticeable impact on your life and 2) because they tend to be inspired- the way they fit your year and challenges is a testament to me that when we seek to be guided by the spirit, it comes! Your find for this year especially resonates with me. We are still so new at this whole married life thing, the house is taking forever to get settled into and financially we're on a 5 year plan at least before we can start buying "things again so there seems to be an element of sluggishness HOWEVER, as impatient as I may be with those aspects, life has marched on! And in 2 months we'll have a baby! Talk about a growth spurt! Plus, my name means waterfall. So there's that.