Wednesday, May 18, 2011

a working girl's fashion

I'm a working girl now. Here are some of my thoughts on a working girl's fashion...

Right now I'm trying to wear everything in my closet. I don't have a lot of clothes, but I have a good amount. Of that good amount I adore probably 20%, am indifferent about 50%, and dislike about 30% mostly because the clothes are old, ill-fitting, or not very stylish. So since I started working a week and a half ago, I'm not allowing any repeats until/unless absolutely necessary. Shoes too (with a little more leniency). I predict that I can maybe go 4 or 5 weeks without repeating pants/skirts/dresses and quite a bit longer without repeating tops with the exceptions of cardigans (I wear one almost everyday).

Normally I get into major clothes ruts and I only wear the clothes I like and all the time. I think of how I dressed at NPG and it's not that cute. I'm talking I would wear the same shirt once every week and the same pants/skirts once or more times a week. I'm taking some inspiration from a girl I worked with at NPG who's wardrobe amazed me. I rarely saw her ever wear something more than once and that was in the almost 2 years I was there. She also used to work at Anthropologie and got most of her clothes from there. Lucky her.

So I'm putting a little more thought into my outfit planning. I'm wearing in-season, work appropriate clothing and spreading out the more stylish pieces to update the look of older pieces. I'm kind of crazy and I'm writing down in my planner what I wore so I can remember to not repeat it...also even crazier, I pulled out everything in my closet last night and stacked the clothes on the floor and I'm hanging them up only after I wear them. I'm weird.

3 comments:

Shan said...

I love this idea! Please take pictues!

IzeOfLight said...

Holy cow! It's all so much harder said than done, so props to you for giving it a whirl. Luckily (or unluckily?) I work in a place where jeans are appropriate, so that throws a wrinkle into the whole mix. I'm going to be interested to hear your updates on how this project goes--go you!

julie said...

It is hard to keep things fresh when you're dressing up every day for work. We've been having nice weather lately so it's been fun to whip out some skirts to spice things up. ;)

I agree, maybe you should be taking pics of all your fabulous outfits?