Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Beautiful Weekend

A couple of weekends ago my friend Lindsey and I got together to look at art! You think I'm artsy? I'm nothing compared to this girl. She actually knows what she's talking about and has great taste. We both graduated from BYU's art history program, worked at BYU's Museum of Art AND were interns together at the Hirshhorn. It was such a fun day and I was happy to spend it with someone who appreciated it as much as I did.

Here we are in Georgetown taking a break for a cupcake from Baked and Wired.
We went to the marvelous Anderson Home in Dupont. This picture was taken inside the front gate. A twin gate was on the other side.

No photography was allowed inside, which is a shame because it was so amazing. This was the home of an American Ambassador for many different Asian countries. He was extremely wealthy and an art collector. The house has a grand ballroom, a huge dining hall with walls lined with Louis XIV's tapestries, all kinds of ornate galleries and drawing rooms, and a grand central staircase, which housed a huge painting that was so large the entire house was designed around the size of the painting.
This is a picture I took while standing in the winter garden (indoor garden) which was just off the ballroom. I took the picture through the glass window out to the garden outside. 
Next we went to DC's big contemporary art fair called Artomatic. There are 9 floors of artists displaying their work and I know a small handful of the artists from my interactions at the Hirshhorn and National Portrait Gallery. Turns out a lot of museum employees are artists...
I like this painting of the metro map. Such a huge part of my everyday life.

This is an awesome installation with abstract designs all built out of recyclable trash. I was very impressed with the whimsical design and juxtaposition of colors and textures and the interaction with light.



Gotta love this:
And here's Lindsey and me. 
I think we got swept away to another planet during all our artsy adventures


2 comments:

Meagan said...

Wow, it looks as if it could be a display at Anthropology.

Erin said...

Two of my favorite art lovers! How fun! If I ever come to DC you two are taking me on tours, ok?