Monday, June 22, 2009

SilverDocs

Hi. Bremen and I went over to Silver Spring on Saturday night to walk around and explore a part of town we haven't been to yet. I've been aware of the Silverdocs documentary film festival that had been going on and I've been mentioning it all week that I wanted to go. So maybe it wasn't a coincidence that we ended up there.

We had no idea what was playing, how much tickets were or even if there were any available. We decided to check to see if there were any shows playing soon. We found one, read up on it, and it didn't seem that interesting so we looked into a stand-by only film called "No Impact Man." We read the synopsis and thought it sounded really interesting so we got in the stand-by line.

The film is about a man who participates in a year long project to live as environmentally responsible as possible in the midst of Manahattan. He brings his wife and baby into it as well. They produce no trash, use no electricity or elevators, use only self-propelled transportation, etc.

As we were waiting in line Bremen said, "This reminds me of a woman I worked with at Business Week who used no electricity and ate only from the farmer's market." We both buy tickets off people on the street and go into the fancy theatre. The movie starts and low and behold the movie is about the very woman that Bremen knows. He shared her office at Business Week. They used the same desk, computer, etc.

It was so crazy that he just happened to know these people and we had know idea about this film or anything. It was a great film and caused me to rethink many of my consumption habits. (more pictures to come)

2 comments:

Megan said...

Maggie--is everything okay in DC? I read about that horrific Metro crash this morning and immediately thought of you. Are you okay? Are your friends and ward members okay? Please tell me you weren't on that metro line when it crashed!!!

lisa said...

I started reading no impact man's blog back when he first started the project and thought it was a pretty sweet--and crazy--idea. how was the documentary?