Tuesday, December 29, 2009

2000-2009: A Decade in Review #29

Only three more stories! A couple of random updates: I've never coughed so much in my life as I have in my first year in Washington DC. I'm on at least my third horrible coughing spell in the last 6 months. Also, I got my hair done by the fabulous Jamie Snelson in Provo Utah and I love it! She put in some subtle highlights. Lastly, I went back to work today...STRESSFUL! Did I ever mention that I will be working in a new position? Executive Assistant to the Director. I'm not the receptionist anymore! I'm nervous though. The current assistant retires tomorrow and then it's all up to me! I hope I can help keep everything floating!

When: January 20, 2009
Where: Washington DC

The day Barack Obama was inaugurated President of the United States. I woke up to the incessant sounds of sirens racing down Pennsylvania Avenue. I kept jumping out of bed to see sleek black limos, motorcades, and even a White Rolls Royce. Beyonce was staying in a hotel just down the street from my building so I think part of that nonsense was her. It was exciting!

I met up with some friends and we joined the masses walking down to the National Mall. Streets were closed to automobiles and full of rivers of people. I'd never seen anything like it. It was BITTER cold. BITTER. When we got to the Mall, Kristen and I got separated from everyone else (there were just that many people). Cell phones didn't work. We were trying to get to the Senate Building to watch the inauguration indoors at the Utah delegation reception. We never made it. Too many people. It got so packed that you just couldn't get any closer. There were police officers with guns standing at streets and forbade us to cross. Some families got separated from each other. Kristen was crying because she had a ticket to watch the inauguration up close, but she couldn't get up there. So we were stuck back by the Washington Monument and we watched it on megatrons. It was so cold, my feet were aching and stinging.

When the ceremony began, I felt optimistic. When Obama was saying the words that made him president, I thought, "Ok this is it. Everything changes from here." People around me were celebrating- kissing even. They were so happy. Canadians were there celebrating. People from all over the world were there and everyone was happy. My thoughts were optimistic and I felt like change is good.

It was such a historic day and I was there.


1 comment:

Melanie said...

Hi Maggie. Congratulations on your new position! I remember watching the inauguration on TV in PA and feeling jealous that so many people I knew were there is person. I guess I should be grateful that I was at least warm.