Thursday, December 10, 2009

2000-2010: A decade in review #10

Sorry guys but now we are getting into some depressing things but important moments in my life.


When: March 2002
Where: Kansas City, MO

It had only been a couple weeks since losing Chambry, and things had not begun to settle down yet. I was expecting word from BYU any day with a decision about my admittance. I pulled in to the driveway after swim practice and saw the huge white envelope in the mailbox. I freaked out. I didn't want to open it because I didn't want to hear bad news. Adrianne wanted me to open it. Mom wanted me to open it. I went into the kitchen by myself where it was quiet, opened it and read it. Put it down. Got in the shower and sobbed. I didn't get in. My mom knocked on the bathroom door and asked me if I got in and I sobbed back, "no." And then she walked away.

That night I had to conduct a Young Women's meeting (New Beginnings or something) and I sobbed through the whole thing while I was sitting in the front facing everyone else. The whole ward new I was a complete mess. I should have excused myself and left.

I think the next day I got my wisdom teeth taken out and almost fainted from the pain. I was laying in my bed and my dad and stepmom came over to visit me and I had to tell them I didn't get in and I was sobbing. I told them that it had always been a dream of mine to go to BYU and do a study abroad in Paris.

Then Ann said, "I think now's a good time for your dad to tell you something..."

And I'll leave that for tomorrow's post

6 comments:

lisa said...

are you kidding me? you can't leave it at that! plus, I'm super confused now, especially knowing that you did in fact graduate from byu. you did, right? I mean... right?

AdrianneJayne said...

I remember what's coming. Tough times for sure!

But your dream came TRUE! And things turn out better for dad anyway!

Lauren said...

Ugh...the suspense in killing me! But I do know you made it to BYU eventually!

Kristen said...

Maggie,
This has been great. I love reading about you. I feel bad that we didn't know each other very well growing up.
Its sad too, since I only have six cousins...TOTAL.
Jordan, Bremen, You, Adrianne, Katie, and Jordi.
Thats all. '
Thank Heaven for BlogS!

Megan said...

I applied to only two colleges--BYUI and Harvard. I'd gotten an application from Harvard in the mail (apparently they liked my SAT score) and was SO proud because my sister DIDN'T get one, and for once we twins didn't ahve to share everything. I went way overboard and told everyone I was applying, then went to my interview with a Harvard alumni, who told me because I applied so late (I had to take the SAT IIs before applying, so I was mega behind) that there was little to no chance I'd get in. Gulp.

And then that fateful day came. I went to the mailbox and pulled out that red-and-gold crested envelope, opened it, and watched my prideful little world fall completely apart. I went inside, locked myself in the bathroom, and BAWLED. It was horrible.

And yet, looking back, I wouldn't have traded my time at BYU for ANYTHING. It was one of the best decisions I ever made, with the coolest and most treasured experiences I've ever had (PARIS!!!) and the coolest and most treasured friends I've ever made. And honestly, I would have hated it at Harvard. And possibly sucked at it. And VERY possibly become a rotten person because of it. So...Heavenly Father knew what I needed most.

Megan said...

Okay--I meant to type BYU. Not BYUI. My finger slipped!!! Heaven forbid I proofread before hitting "publish."