when: summer 2008
where: Provo, Utah
One day I had an idea. I should do byu's washington seminar program. It was an idea that made me excited and nervous- the best kind. I didn't know if I'd qualify. I didn't know if I'd get in. I didn't know if I'd fit in even if I did get in. I was old. I was an art girl not a Capitol hill girl. Plus, I had the best job a student could ask for. I applied with the help of two mentors who wrote recommendations for me. I got a call for an interview. I was so nervous. Sweet holly helped me prepare. She put a lot of thought into some mock interview questions. She interviewed me and let me tell you, she was asking me about how the new administration would effect the art scene, About nonprofit organizations, about political propaganda in art and so forth. I was sooo prepared. I got all dressed up and went in for my interview. I met dr. Goss and do you want to know what he asked me? Well we role played a situation where someone wanted to get into the barlow center, then asked me how I could try to keep vermin out of the barlow center and that was it. I was done. a few days later a got an email saying I got in. I was so happy. My dream was coming true. Oh dr. Goss. Maybe my pin stripes and interview prep did come in handy. He offered me the administrative assistant position. It was a lot of hard work,but free rent in dc made it worth it. Who knew the beginning of a dream could all depend on my desire to keep a building vermin free. Done and done.
Monday, December 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
so glad you did the barlow center thing even if you had a nasty professor!
Post a Comment