Wednesday, July 01, 2009

it's not all slumber parties and fireflies...

What exactly is the purpose of my blog?
well...I use it brag about my awesome life and I use it to complain about things.

So most of my posts lately have been about awesome stuff so now I will take the opportunity to complain.

1) I'm living in a horrible situation right now. My roommates are great, that's not the problem. Even the roaring metro train doesn't really bother me anymore. Honestly, not having the a/c on is not that bad either. We've been blessed with a fairly cool summer. What does bother me? The carpets of dust everywhere I look. The smell of stale, dust-caked, overflowing closet full of half used toiletries. The fact that when the a/c is turned on I about die of coughing fits. The mold growing everywhere. I could go on and on, but I'm stopping to say that I don't see much changing anytime soon and so therefore I am NOT PAYING RENT until the situation is resolved or until I can move out with my full deposit check tucked away in my pocket.

2) At my office, we have a bathroom phantom. What is this? Many many times when I enter the restroom it is silent and I think there is no one in there. I soon hear a very faint rustle and learn that there is in fact someone in one of the stalls just sitting there. For a long time. I have a shy bladder. I despise public restrooms. The fact that someone is just sitting there listening to every move I make...well, I find it intrusive, creepy, and gross. And when I'm at the mirror or washing my hands, I know she is just sitting there watching me through the cracks of the door. If you're too shy to do your business while someone else is in the restroom, you do not have the right to creep out everyone else who comes in within the next 30 minutes.

3) Guys, my daily commute is inhumane. Since the big accident last week, the red line is a disaster and I learned today that it will continue to be this way for at least a year. I live pretty far out of town. I'm four stops from the beginning of the line, where every morning empty trains start their journey. By the time the trains get to my stop, they are already at standing room only. And there are still 10+ stops to go to get to downtown. Each stop, more and more people push their way on. It gets so packed and sweaty and miserable that I often feel like I could faint. Not to mention, it is so unreliable now I find myself getting to work half an hour late sometimes. People yell at each other and fights are breaking out.

miserable living situation+miserable commute+bathroom phantom=not really a wonderful existance

2 comments:

CS said...

oh Maggie I'm so sorry things aren't going great. You can come sleepover with me sometimes once I get moved in there! I hope the situation gets resolved. I can't handle mold AT all, it makes me sick, too. :(

Megan said...

I HATE public restrooms, too! Sometimes I just go in, flush the potty, and THEN go pee under the blissful cover of the water running. It definitely helps. Seriously, though--when you go potty, keep your eyes on the floor. There is NO NEED to peer at others!!! Guys totally have a no-eye-contact rule at the urinal--we women need to establish one as well!

As for the Metro, I'm totally sorry! When we were in Paris (ahhh...just savor that sentence for a sec!) I had to take the early morning train when we'd go on trips (me and my carry-on tucked between my feet, both of us getting glares from all sides), and it was so incredibly packed I once had to stand with my cheek smashed on the back of someone else! Thankfully my fellow traveler was well-dressed and non-creepy, and wearing a gorgeous red leather jacket, but it was WAY too close for someone like me with a healthy sense of personal space! Plus, it was stinky--deodorant was in short supply on that train, and I was in the financial district with Paris's upper crust! Crazy.