I decided to change up this challenge a bit and make it something that will stick with me throughout the entire year. I am going to throw out 10 things each month, totaling 120 items throughout the year. Spreading it out like this is great for me because it is less intimidating. I can make smaller decisions, and if I'm on the fence about something, I can wait until next month to reconsider. Also, I'll have the chance to exfoliate seasonally, so I don't have to worry about stuff in storage until the time comes that I am actually using it.
For January, I decided to just hit the surface. I've had junk piling up from Christmas trinket gifts and other things that just never found a home. So the challenge was to not rifle through drawers, but to just take a quick look around and decide, "What doesn't belong here?"
I realize I run the risk of offending someone by posting the things I'm throwing out, but I am hoping that everyone will realize I appreciate any thoughts and gifts, but as time goes on we just have to cycle through our belongings. Also, the phrase "throwing out" actually means recycling, donating, passing on, or selling if anyone is interested. Throwing away is a last resort. Here's what I got rid of in January:
1. Little gift book - donate
2. Wrong battery for my running watch - give back to brother
3. Camping gear - give back to brother
4. Scarf - return to store
5. Study guide - recycle
6. bookmarks - recycle
7. "Bling" ink pen - donate
8. Chocolates - give or trash
9. Bracelet - donate or sell
10. Magazine - give or recycle

4 comments:
I saw your gchat status about this, and it inspired me to go through my books and donate ones that I don't want to keep. It also inspired me to get rid of that tissue paper I was holding onto "to use when gifting", but since I always forget about it, it's just not worth the space that it takes up. So not quite as ambitious as yours, but it's definitely been helping me to "exfoliate" my life. Good on you! (PS- doesn't it always feel a touch sinful to get rid of things with pictures of Jesus on it? I always have remind myself that I'm not throwing out the real Jesus...)
Camille - I agree, I hesitated the first time I threw out a bunch of Ensigns and old manuals. Now I recycle those things without hesitation because I know it's all still accessible online.
Maggie I love this! I am constantly trying to clean out and get organized, but there's always so much stuff to go through. I think I may do this with you.
Maggie, how funny! I just threw away our copy of the Paris edition of the National Geographic.:) Great minds think alike.
Oh, man. Heaven knows my room (shoot, my LIFE!) could use some "exfoliating." Great idea to break it up by month, too. :)
Post a Comment