Thursday, May 29, 2008

give it a rest people!


I can't tell you how many times people have stared at me wide-eyed with an incredulous look on their face when I tell them I served my mission in Ohio and and I'm from Missouri. Quite a few thoughtless people even had the nerve to ask me if there was something wrong with me and that's why I had to serve so close to home!

To those people I just think to myself, "You are probably completely unaware of the geography of the midwest anyway. You probably don't even know where Ohio is."

Get over it! It's not that close! Yes the early Saints did walk from Kirtland to Independence, but I'd like to see anyone try to do that now. I'm from the very most western part of my state and served most of my mission in the very eastern most part of Ohio, making a span of 4 states separating the distance.

Let's also think about how Ohio is in the Eastern time zone. It borders New York state which *gasp!* borders the Atlantic Ocean!

How about the elder I know from Kansas who is serving in Utah. That's 3 states people. How about the girl I met in the MTC from Bountiful and called to serve at Temple Square?

I just don't get what the big deal is and when people stare and then laugh hysterically at me it kind of annoys me.

* to my friends who read this, my annoyance is not directed to you! It's more towards this guy I met yesterday who I happened to have been forced to become the third wheel of his date. Awkward and annoying!

3 comments:

Erin said...

That is ridiculous. I experience a similar phenomenon when I tell people I'm from Provo. They just can't believe people really live here. Well, they do. And thank you for assuming I'm closed minded and naive.

Good for you for letting the world know a little more about midwestern geography.

And I will definitely look at your blog even though you don't have a baby, ok?

Alisa said...

You Go Girl!! Just let it all out!! I've been there too, and understand!! Since I'm from KC too and served in Cleveland too, people would ask, "Oh, do you have a health problem?" or "Oh, are you a service missionary?" Actually....that's where the Lord needed me!!!

Rachel@ A Little Bit of Ray said...

Mags, I can't believe this!! I think it's so awesome you were able to serve in Ohio and have the connections to MO. I mean if you really had health or other issues they could have either sent you to Independence or Salt Lake or not allow you to serve(which would totally have sucked). Geeze the nerve of some people. You're called where you're needed! Besides the Saints walked from Nauvoo to UT and would anyone even attempt that now? No. I'm sure most people would rather fly than even drive that distance. People suck, I'm sorry.
Rachel