Wednesday, August 12, 2009

new boss humiliation round 2

Do you all remember my Cheeto humiliation with my new boss? Well, unfortunately I had another embarrassing moment with him yesterday...

It was the end of a busy and stressful work day. I stepped into an elevator with a man who works on another floor. Two more of my co-workers darted through the closing elevator doors. As the door was closing, I saw my new boss's pink shirt rushing towards the elevator (He's really tall so his shirt is at most people's eye level). As I was pushed to the back, there was nothing I could do to let him on. Another co-worker jabbed his hand through the closing doors and they bounced back open enough for my new boss to get on. There was some friendly banter about how we are a loyal company, "willing to lose a hand for each other," etc., etc. The man who works on the other floor said, "So you're all in the museum business?" My new boss chuckled, "Yep. We're all lucky to have jobs right now."

Lately I've been a little worried about this new boss. He's young, a go-getter, here to make some changes, etc. He's even spoken with me about cutting my position. I've thought, "If I lose my job, it will be because of him." And he's arrogant. He kind of irks me.

So we get to the ground level and the elevator doors open. No one moves. I say, "Goodbye everybody!" and squeeze my way off. I guess my new boss and another male co-worker follow me off because I can hear them chatting behind me. I hold the doors for them as I exit the building. I turn right, they turn left...or so I thought.

I consider myself a pretty quiet person. Sometimes I'll go several hours without speaking a word. But when I think I'm alone and when I'm irritated about something, sometimes I wear my feelings on my face and SOMETIMES I utter things to myself.

As I was walking down the sidewalk, I was thinking about my new boss's chuckle about being lucky to have a job in a museum. I was thinking about the time he proposed that my position was not really needed. I rolled my eyes at the memory of him suggesting I apply for a paid internship at another museum. And the culminating thought escaped my lips in a bitter utterance...

"He's out to get me!"

What happen next happened so fast and so simultaneously that you have to really pay attention here. I said those words out loud and then instantly heard a familiar voice right next to me...

"SO how was the tour you went on today?!" (I took an hour off that afternoon to tag along on a tour at the museum)

I saw a pink shirt out of the corner of my eye. I felt electricity shoot through my body and it made my hands tingle. This was partially due to being startled, partially out of mortification that my new boss was indeed right next to me as I had cursed his existance, and partially that another human being probably witnessed me talking to myself.

I have no idea if he heard me or not, but it is EXTREMELY likely. I just kept thinking, "I can't believe this is happening!" But of course I just played it off and starting telling him about how wonderful the tour was and he should go take one as soon as he gets a chance.

And then he bounded off into the traffic--not wanted to wait at the crosswalk with me until the light changed.

6 comments:

Lauren said...

omg, Maggie! I literally just laughed out loud. That is too funny. First, I love that you were talking to yourself and second, I love that what you said was, "He's out to get me!" That is the best story. I'll probably read this blog entry out loud to my sister. That's how funny I thought it was.

Jaclyn said...

Glad to hear that someone else enjoys talking to themself outloud. Fortunately the only person that usually hears me is Danny, which is embarrassing but not as bad as it being your boss. Good luck with that one my friend.

The Wettstein Family said...

All I could think of when I read this is Pride and Prejudice. Is he your Darcy?
Just Kidding!! You are so dang cute, I wish I could give you a big hug right now!

Alisa said...

oh mags....i miss you, i really do! i cannot wait to see you!!! I miss stopping in to see you!! And, I talk to myself all the time...:)

AdrianneJayne said...

Whoever doesn't talk to themselves is crazy.

Honestly.

My favorite part of that story is that you watched him, helplessly, as the elevator doors almost shut in his face. HE probably thinks you're out to get him, which is totally justified by him trying to take your job away. Let's just hope he doesn't find your blog.


And the paranoia sets in...

LMemory said...

not to add to the paranoia, but watch out, maggie- my dad once had stuff he thought was well hidden that he'd written about a co-worker come back to bite him in the butt!

But if you think you're safe... keep it up, this is SO funny! Let's play soon, please!