Shopping for a greeting card for a boss is not easy. I'm an absolute card SNOB. In fact I rarely use them. Recently on two different occasions I was asked to purchase a group card for two different bosses (not this boss) who were going through a hard time. The reason why it's hard is because
1) Sympathy cards and get well cards are fewer in stock and are either incredible cheesy or painfully sappy.
2) Both times I was asked to purchase a card while on the clock so I felt rushed. But both times I still felt the need to read and reread every single example.
3) I work in an artistic atmosphere where aesthetics are important to all involved so therefore the card I choose is a reflection of my aesthetic taste. Also, the card is from "everyone" so it is a reflection of the museum as a whole.
4) It's nearly impossible to find a decent image (NOT the open backside of a hospital gown worn by an old man) with an appropriate message on the inside (NOT "Hope you get Well-ephant")
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
SERIOUSLY difficult! The only thing I've figured out that helps is buying that box of greeting cards from Costco that has the mix of birthday/blank/thinking of you/etc. and hoping and praying that one of the cards in there fits whatever I situation I need. They're awesome, and usually $15 for about 40 cards. Good luck!
I am SO PICKY about my cards! Ive basically given up on all brands except Fresh Ink, a funny little branch of Hallmark that has quirky vintage-y photos with random sayings inside. They're never serious or sappy or retarded. If I go to buy a card and the store I'm in doesn't offer Fresh Ink, I get all confused and disoriented and usually leave without buying anything. :)
Word. I hate cards. I recently was put in charge of buying for a co-worker who's leaving (and whose job I now have), and I had suh agony over it.
Finally I got one that said "Today is the first day of the rest of your life" in like a circus poster way. It was cute. She's going to grad school, so it was fitting. But anyway, I like you a lot.
And THANK YOU for being such a gumshoe on the little yellow ball flower situation. I just really love them and want to get some. Let me know what you find . . .
i feel the same way. as a missionary i started making my own greeting cards. maybe you should too.
Post a Comment