Wednesday, September 16, 2009

From Russia, with Love Part 2

Just a quick report: I arrived in tula saturday night and have enjoyed my time here. Tonight I visited with the family of the 14 year old boy that I baptized the day before I went home. He now lives in Moscow, dates a model, and drives exotic cars--he is Russia's newest superstar. When I asked the 20 year old girl sitting next to me on the plane if she knew who he was, she blushed and said that all Russians knew who he was. His mom showed me a half dozen of his music videos but made no promises that I would connect with him. His producer handles all his appointments now. I'm told he has worn his ctr ring all these years.

Church was sobering. We have a new building, but it is small and there are fewer people. (They turned the old place into a nightclub.) Because there are fewer missionaries, they don't have the English classes that used to bring in so many of our new people. I had to speak in church, which was embarrassing after seven years, but a sister who served here with me and who speaks Russian ten times worse than I do happened to be in town, spoke also, and made me look good by comparison. Ours is a church of miracles after all.

Later I dropped by unannounced to some nonmembers we missionaries had referred to simply as the "rich people". It was a spur of the moment decision, I recognized their building and stopped by just to say hello. But after a few moments of scrutiny, they were beside themselves for joy. They took me to their three-story vacation home and fed me grilled salmon, marinated potatoes, and homegrown fruits and vegetables on their immaculate lawn and patio. I met their well-traveled friends and played ping pong with their 17 year old son, who was just a kid when I saw them last. Rich as kings or poor as dirt (as is more often the case), you won't find hospitality like this outside of Russia.

My point man here is a former English student named sasha. He is 39 and works in the local microphone factory that outfits Madonna, or so they claim. He came to church with me and took the Sacrament, which for me was a mini miracle. We've kept in touch by email all these years, mostly because his English is so good. When I stumbled over a Russian word today, he showed off by singing supercalifragilisticexpialadoc
ious, or however that ridiculous song goes. He is a great friend and a generous guide and host.

I am staying at sasha's sister's empty apartment. There is no internet, just my phone, and I have to punch each letter in with my thumbs. That said, I'll wrap this up. Feel free to forward this on to those who might be interested. It's too difficult to write to everyone because I don't have addresses stored in my phone.

Wednesday is yasnaya polyana (lev tolstoy's place), and then I am off to lipetsk 6 or 7 hours south of here.

Hope all is well at home.

Love,
Bremen

2 comments:

Jaclyn said...

Maggie, thanks for posting those letters, it was great to read them. I just sent Breman an email (who knows if he will get it). After reading the first letter he wrote I realized that the mission presidents wife that he was referring to is my moms cousin. She is from Btfl and knows the Goodrich family well. She and Aunt Val Carlisle Goodrich were actually roommmates at the Y. I just thought he might like to know that connection in case he ran into them again.

Happy 26th by the way. I hope you had a wonderful day, you deserve it. I also hope you're enjoying the fall in D.C. Dan & I were out there 10 years ago at this time and we had the best time of our lives. I'm so glad you're there having a good time.

Take good care.

LMemory said...

These are fun letters to read! My parents have worked with Russian charities in the past (my dad's business partner's wife is Russian) and I have such a special place in my heart for that country!

UM HAPPY BIRTHDAY PRETTY GIRL!

Linds