Friday, October 26, 2012

Foodies

Last weekend I went to a dinner party with some of my best friends. Melanie was the mastermind behind our main dish, a pumpkin gnocchi recipe. We all LOVED it. I made a fall salad, using mostly produce from my CSA share, which by the way Norman's Farm is the best in all the land. The salad could be called Brussel Sprout Salad. Everyone was asking for a recipe, so I thought I'd type up what I did.

Brussel Sprout Salad - no quantities given because you can eyeball what you need based on how many you are serving.

Brussel Sprouts (CSA!)
Canola Oil
Chopped Walnuts
Sea Salt
Fresh Ground Pepper

Arugula (CSA!)
Red Onion (CSA!)
Optional: Roasted Pumpkin or Butternut Squash Chunks (no flavoring or oil needed) (CSA!)

2 Garlic cloves
1/2 cup Olive Oil
Juice from 1/2 Lemon
Shaved Lemon Rind
Sea Salt
Fresh Ground Pepper

I chopped the ends off the brussel sprouts and cut each one in half (even the smallest ones). I spread them out on a baking sheet and drizzled them with plenty of canola oil. I ground sea salt and fresh pepper over the top and then tossed them all around to make sure they were evenly coated. Lastly, I arranged them so the cut, layer-y side of the sprout was facing up.

Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. For the last 5 minutes I tossed in some chopped walnuts.

While the sprouts were roasting, I washed and spun-dried a large bag of arugula. Put in a large bowl. I then cut some thin slices of red onion. After the brussel sprouts had cooled a bit, I placed them and the walnuts on top. Lastly, I shaved some fresh parmesan. As a note: I would have added roasted pumpkin chunks or butternut squash, but I knew we were having pumpkin gnocchi.

The dressing was a cinch. 2 minced garlic cloves, half a cup of olive oil. wisk together. Add the juice from half a lemon. Shave in some lemon rind. Grind in some salt and pepper to taste. Add to salad right before serving.

Along with the dinner we had delicious varieties of lemonades and limeades from Whole Foods. Dessert was SUPERB. Roasted pears in a sugar, cinnamon glaze with vanilla ice cream.

Did I miss anything guys?

1 comment:

Megan said...

That sounds AMAZING!!! Is fall food ot the best?!