Wednesday, October 08, 2008

have a secret?

Have you ever heard of postsecret.blogspot.com?

 I love it. Ok look, I can't say you'll love it too, because some of the images and secrets are a little questionable. But I really love the idea of creatively expressing a deep secret that you just don't want to keep hidden anymore and sending it off anonymously to the editor in Germantown Maryland. Each Sunday he goes through the previous week's secrets and posts them on his weekly blog.

The idea is that you can express a secret--serious, funny, disturbing, sad, whatever you are feeling--on one side of a postcard and mail it anonymously. I assume that the editor receives hundreds of secrets each week and from all over the world, so to be published on the weekly blog or in one of his books is kind of a big deal. 

Well my friend (anonymous, remember?) who introduced me to this whole thing went to a postsecret party a couple weeks ago and created some secrets. She sent them off and this week she was published TWICE on her first try! I'm so proud of her! I kind of think she won't mind if I post them on my blog because they're on the postsecret blog. So here they are:

ok this one caused MAJOR controversy! which I think is HILARIOUS! There's a place where people can make comments and I'm afraid my friend offended a lot of people. Good for her!!

And this one generated lots of comments thanking her for a message of hope. A lot of people felt like they could relate or they hope that someday they could.

I'm so proud of my friend for her awesome messages! She's famous! AND controversial! Nothing better than that!

1 comment:

Erin said...

I love Postsecret! Have you seen the books? I think it actually started with the books, and then he moved it onto the website, but yeah, I love the whole concept, it's awesome. Because art is anything! Yay for contemporary art!