I sit at a receptionist's desk at the entrance of the National Portrait Gallery administrative offices. It's behind glass doors and against a stark wall with dramatic lighting over the words, "National Portrait Gallery." Against an adjacent wall are pretty red chairs, a table with flowers, and an old fashioned wall mirror. It's nice looking.
I answer the phone. When people call in with questions, I'm the person who answers. It's a nerve-wracking task on your first day, because it is often difficult to know how to answer the questions.
Everyone there is SO NICE. So many people came up to me to introduce themselves and to shake my hand. I'm trying hard to remember everyone's name. Today there was a little party to celebrate the engagements of four people there in the office. There were lots of yummy treats. There's just an overall feeling of camaraderie and friendliness.
I'm happy to be there! After a while, I'm sure I'll have more interesting things to say about it. I'll be working on various projects eventually. But for now we're just trying to finish up the whole hiring process.
So that was my first day!
6 comments:
maggie that sounds like a great job! how fun. there is a good chance my family will be traveling to DC some time next year, and I will have to look you up!
sounds like such a great job!!! where were you working before now?
you were doing an internship right? i just cannot remember at what museum.
I was at the Hirshhorn. It was a great way to get my foot in the door with the Smithsonian.
Amalie- Let me know when you come! It would be fun to see you!
Yay! Congratulations to you. Just so you know, I HATE answering phones on the first day of a new job. It totally makes me want to pee my pants!!! I hope this is the start of many exciting adventures for you--I'm so envious, and not just because you get to wear cute clothes to work! My first (and only) post-college job before Camryn was at a company in Orem (I was their technical writer and editor for 2 years). It was truly soul-sucking and uninspirational (but necessary, since Karl was still in school and SOMEONE had to pay the bills!). I wish I'd been more adventurous and picky about my job search! Have fun, and take lots of pictures for me!
Maggie! I am so blog-stalking you right now. I was just so thrilled to find that you have one as well. Let me first say - Congrats on the new job. I know I've told you before, but it's so exciting!
Also, I am so excited for our Cape May getaway! It's going to be the bomb diggity!
Post a Comment