Thursday, March 17, 2011

Paris Day 9: New Year's Eve in Paris!

After our 4-day museum pass expired, we were so exhausted that on New Year's Eve day, we slept in. Bremen worked on some work stuff...lame...and I wandered over to the New Year's Eve HUGE indoor and outdoor market in St. Denis. It was the biggest market I've ever been to, and I was so overwhelmed. I looked at everything, took forever in making any decisions, got this close to buying something, then I'd walk away. I was too overwhelmed and not sure what was worth buying. The one purchase I did make and was maybe the best purchase of the entire trip? An amazing crepe-like sandwich. I wasn't a crepe, much thicker and chewier, but it was hot and crispy and full of nutella. Better than a crepe, really. It was sold by some muslim women I believe and I can't remember what it was called. And it was only 1 euro and 50 cents. So much cheaper than the crepes in Paris. So that was the best purchase of the trip for me. I didn't take any pictures of the market, because I already stood out enough being the only white, american girl in the place and I didn't want to start busting out the camera.

I bought some bread and then went back to the apartment we were staying, walked in and had to confess that I didn't buy anything, really. I told Bremen I needed him to help me decide what to buy. Later that afternoon we went to a small produce market and bought some salad supplies. then finally found a Franprix and bought some groceries, and bought a roasted chicken on the way home. The barber shops were packed. All the men were getting their hair done for New Year's Eve. The stores were selling galette des rois and sparkling apple cider.

We planned to go to the Champs Elysees to see a movie. We got down there and the theatres were closing. Everything was closed. We went into one store that was still open, then walked to the Eiffel Tower. Always beautiful and awe inspiring. Then we walked over to the apartment I used to live in on Rue Docteur Finlay. Then went back to our little apartment in St. Denis. Just in time for midnight. We ate Magnum Bars and drank sparkling cider. Here's some pics:





I'm hearing some fun stories of what friends did on New Years Eve while I was away. What did you do?

No comments: