Yesterday I had an inkling to walk home. It felt nice out compared to
the awful heat we've been having. I walked along Massachusetts Avenue
past all the many many embassies. A lovely walk. I passed the Haitian
Embassy and remembered the day hundreds of people gathered there to
donate, sort, and pack truckload after truckload of relief items after
the earthquake. I passed the Ivory Coast Embassy with its bronze
elephant out front. The Brazilian Embassy really caught my eye. It's so
modern-in the academic meaning of the term. The sprawling British Embassy is
ever so impressive, and of course the Finnish Embassy is the perfect
mixture of woodsy and modernity-perhaps the most masculine of all the
embassies. If I were an embassy, I would have a serious crush on Finland.
Then there was the Norwegian Embassy. I was surprised and touched to see all the flowers laid out and signs saying "stay strong." It was beautiful. I love the memories I'm making at these various embassies.
If you were an embassy, which would you be? Who would you have a crush on? Who would you want to be friends with?
If you were an embassy, which would you be? Who would you have a crush on? Who would you want to be friends with?
2 comments:
Not that I've ever been there, but I would so be the British Embassy. It is so beautiful and carefully manicured.
I would have a crush on Sweden, for sure, and d I would have a facebook group full of European friends, specifically Scandinavian friends!
(that's the best I can do for never have seeing these places before)
"If I were an embassy, I would have a serious crush on Finland." LOVE YOU, Maggie!
Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with the embassies to have a crush. I hope to get there someday!
Post a Comment