My friend Caranine had the awesome job of running the gallery at GW. She has curated a few shows and this was her last before she graduates. It was called the Donut Show and was all about donuts. Here's a Shoes You with the curator herself. :)
You know what's awesome about this installation? It's an homage to Sol LeWitt, an American contemporary artist linked to conceptualism and minimalism. He has always been one of my favorites because his work is so recognizable (and all over dc... NGA!, Hirshhorn!, SAAM!, Holocaust! whaa?). He was really into repetition and the process forming the final product. I myself have labored for hours while installing a Sol LeWitt piece at the BYU Museum of Art. I remember painstakingly checking every detail to make sure the correct piece was placed in the absolute perfect spot and everything was done in order. The final product is an innumerable amount of perspectives as the viewer takes in the piece from every angle.
So, donut artist- I get it. I bet you painstakingly placed every donut in an exact manner Sol LeWitt would have been proud of.
Thanks for bringing back cool memories.
49 Three-Part Variations on Three Different Kinds of Cubes, 1967-71
49 enamel-on-steel-box constructions

1 comment:
yay! i'm so glad you could stop by the show, and i'm honored to have made it onto one of your "shoes" posts. my life is now complete. ;) i think our shoes photo is very aesthetically pleasing! love it.
Post a Comment