The secret is in the homemade taco seasoning. It is way more flavorful, healthier, and cheaper than the packets. This recipe calls to mix with a cornstarch-water mixture. I tried it and loved the result, but I've also found that it isn't necessary. The seasonings produce a thick, flavorful sauce on their own when mixed with water and simmered. Here's the recipe as I use. I keep a mason jar full of it in my cabinet.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
source: adapted from Smells Like Home, Delish, and Allrecipes
1/4 cup ancho chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 to 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp paprika
2 tbsp ground cumin
3 tsp sea salt
source: adapted from Smells Like Home, Delish, and Allrecipes
1/4 cup ancho chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 to 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp paprika
2 tbsp ground cumin
3 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Store in an airtight container.
To use: Use 2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons of taco seasoning in place of a packet of store-bought taco seasoning. Combine 2 tbsp cornstarch with 1 cup cold water and stir to dissolve cornstarch. In a large saute pan set over medium-high heat, brown 1lb ground beef, turkey or chicken, add seasoning and cornstarch-water mixture, and simmer over low heat until liquid has thickened.
So on to the meal!
Lettuce Wrap Tacos
1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup black beans
2 TB homemade taco seasoning
4 large lettuce leaves
green salsa
2 tomatoes
2 green onion
small handful of cilantro
Brown a pound of ground beef, drain. Once cooked, add half a can of black beans. Throw in homemade taco seasoning and half a cup or so of water. Lower temperature and simmer for 5 minutes.
Dice tomatoes, green onion, cilantro. Wash and dry large romain lettuce leaves.
Assemble tacos by spooning meat and beans onto lettuce wrap, add a spoonful of green salsa, sprinkle tomatoes, green onion, and cilantro. Feast!
I LOVE using lettuce as a wrap instead of tortillas, because usually the lettuce is my favorite part of mexican food. It is so crunchy and fresh!
BONUS: This meal is gluten and dairy free! I would have mentioned it earlier, but I know sometimes I gloss over those recipes because I don't have allergies. But now I know GF and DF can be delicious!
1 comment:
This sounds amazing!
Post a Comment