Tuesday, July 08, 2008

GREat!


Although it may appear that I am fully participating in the 2008 Summer of Fun...I would like to take a moment to reflect on the "serious" side of my summer so far.

I have become a slave of the GRE.

I'm taking a prep course that is reteaching me all the math and stuff I learned in 8th and 9th grade. It's literally been 10 years since I've done this stuff, and seriously I pretty much cheated my way through those classes anyway. Thanks to all those great friends of mine that let me copy your homework! So far the class is going very well and I feel like I am learning A LOT.

The very first day of this GRE prep course we sat down and took the GRE. I mean we TOOK THE GRE!! Talk about nerve racking! I had NO IDEA what I was getting myself into! I hadn't done a math problem in forever and I was sitting there in the computer lab counting on my fingers and hoping no one was looking at me!

Amazingly I kind of did ok! I'm going to be real honest here and report my scores and also my goals so that I can be held accountable.

June 28: Diagnostic Exam
Verbal: 490 (57 percentile)
Quantitative: 570 (46 percentile)
Total: 1060
(I didn't take the Writing portion)

Here are my goals:
August 9: The real thing!
Verbal: 600 (out of 800)
Quantitative: 650 (out of 800)
Total: 1250 (out of 1600)
Writing 5.5 (out of 6)

I choose these goals because I think they are attainable and also because BYU posts the average scores of the students who got accepted into the Art History program.

average verbal: 596.43
average quantitative: 597.86
average writing: 5.02

I'm not exactly sure why I posted all this! Sorry I know its boring! Stay tuned to find out how I do! Also stay tuned for fun pictures of my 4th of July weekend!

3 comments:

HJolley said...

props to you girl!! i also need to study for the gre . . . it's a monster. which prep book do you use?

Katie M. Brown said...

you are so cute...

Amalie said...

thats great that you are taking a study course. I'm sure it'll help you get into the program you want to! I remember taking the GRE in Jan 2007 and for me honestly the best prep was that I had been substitute teaching for two years and I taught a lot of math and english classes. it helped with my score for sure!