Wednesday, January 27, 2010

3 things

1) Today I helped get a lost cell phone back to its owner. I've never done that before. I finally got a hold of someone and it turned out to be the owner's fiancee. She gave him my info and he came by to pick it up later. He was sooooo grateful to me. While trying to find someone to contact, I came across a picture in his phone of a cute little baby. I told the guy that I would hope that someone would do the same for me and it was no problem at all. Well, that's a little untrue. The only problem was that the phone reeked of cigarette smoke and I could smell it on my hands. It totally grossed me out.

2) Today after work, I looked up, and the sky was still light. This makes me so very happy. I long for more daylight. To celebrate this lengthened day, I decided to not file underground to my 45 minute train ride, but instead I wandered down to my favorite little spot in Penn Quarter, Teaism. I've been there 4 times in 10 days. I ordered a Lavender Mint herbal tea and a delicious chocolate salty oat cookie. I sat at a table sipping my hot tea and reading my book. I'm usually starving and headachey after work and my trip to Teaism solved both those problems. I recommend doing something relaxing right after work, then tackling the commute and the responsibilities of home. After about an hour, I was thoroughly relaxed and happy and getting up to leave, when something happened that ALMOST makes me rethink my last recommendation. A large, slightly awkward, and not very attractive youngish man (Don't judge me) approached me and asked if I was there for, "Meet-Up." I just smiled and said no, but inside I was thinking, "Excuse me?! You wish!" (don't judge me). I stopped at the counter to order something to give to my friend for her birthday, and then headed to the front door. I saw him staring at me and he started following me out the door. I thought, "Don't do it! Don't do it!" Then I whipped out my phone, quickened my step, and booked it up the street. Is that mean? Sorry if it is. Oh one other thing. The metro is more crowded during the 6:00 hour than the 5:00 hour so that's the trade-off for sticking around downtown after work.

3) Last thing. On my ride home I was going through my outgoing text messages from over the past 3 and half years. It was such a trip down memory lane. They were my responses to friends' announcements that they were engaged, pregnant, etc. And even some squeals of excitement to friends about boys and dates and "The Bachelorette". I deleted many of them, but there are still so many more to go. Keep giving me reasons to send out fun text messages!

5 comments:

Jaclyn said...

I love reading about your life Maggie, it just makes me smile. You are so funny. I'm glad you pulled out your cell to ditch the loser, it is much nicer for everyone involved.

The Wettstein Family said...

Maggie, I can just imagine you sitting there looking so beautiful and peaceful, quietly sipping your tea, and some big doof of a guy spoiling your repose. Only you, Mags.
I am so glad you are living it up over there and taking advantage of all the opportunities you have. Thanks for giving me something more interesting to think about than poopy diapers. Love you!

LMemory said...

Ginger limeade at Teaism. Will keep me coming back for a long, LONG time. Maggie! Hi! I haven't seen you in a while... let's go on an art adventure.

AdrianneJayne said...

dang girl!
1) my phone only hold like half a day's outgoing messages. I delete them allll the time.
2)it's been a long time since you updated, so thanks.
3) kurt asked about you the other day.
4) You're not mean!

jendar said...

i must come visit you in d.c.! i must! maybe for spring break, ill let you know.