Merry Christmas everyone! What a fun day it's been. It's so great to spend time with my family. Do I have to go back to DC?
When: Fall 2006
Where: Yellow House, Provo Utah
For fall semester, I moved into a cute yellow house south of campus with 5 other girls. Alisa, Holly, Sheryl and I were all newly returned missionaries, and were quickly becoming great friends. We were all different in some ways but really got each other at the same time. Those 3 girls and I have remained close ever since.
I kind of think it was Sheryl's idea to do the dessert night. We chose one Sunday evening and Sheryl explained, "You just send out a text to everyone you know earlier in the day, and believe me, they will come." I was so excited. I loved our house, I loved my roommates, I was so excited to see some old friends from before the mission. I was so excited that I actually jumped the gun, and texted everyone I knew the day before, just to give them a little extra time to work our party into their Sunday evening plans. The rest of the girls did their texting on Sunday afternoon.
People starting showing up and just kept coming and coming and coming. Our house was so packed, it was standing room only and you really had to squeeze your way through. I just kept thinking, "Wow, my roommates are so popular and know so many cool people."
That's when I realized I didn't fit in. At all. You don't believe me? Out of every single person that came that night, guess how many were people that I had invited. Z-E-R-O. No one showed up for me. I was feeling like such a loser, but I was still having fun getting to know lots of new people.
That was the beginning of a really hard school year for me. I loved my roommates and friends, but man. I was not as cool as they were. They were dating left and right, and I was writing papers and working my two jobs. I loved them and had a lot of fun living with them, but for the sake of my poor, bruised ego, I'm glad those days are over!
Saturday, December 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I was sad I didn't get to see you at Glenn & Marilyns yesterday. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas. I laughed at your post about introducing yourself at the theatre and it was some of your cousins. Don't worry, that could have happened to any of us!!! And I love the pictures of you and Nick, that a great looking couple. You were beautiful then and even more so now. Merry CHristmas.
Psh--well, the problem was, you didn't invite ME!!! I would have been there for you, Maggie! You are still one of my favorite "Paris girls" and always will be.
If it helps, I never had a boyfriend until Karl. In fact, my freshman roommate was so pretty (half Italian, with long curly black hair, and 5'1") that I HAD NOT ONE DATE for an entire semester. Literally. Not one boy from our ward asked me out. I switched wards for my second semester and faired a bit better, but it still stung because I still lived with Danni, and guys still called my room for her, and if she wasn't there, they'd keep me on the phone asking if she liked them, what she said about them, if she'd ever go out with them, blah blah blah. And Danni literally thought she was too good for ALL of them (and said as much!). She never gave them the time of day, and I would have happily gone out with ANY of them! Life is so unfair sometimes. And every time I've run into her since then, I instantly feel ugly, ungaingly, talentless, devoid of ambition, and boring. Even though she's perfectly nice to me. Don't you just HATE HATE HATE people that make you feel that way?!?
Post a Comment