Monday, December 14, 2009

2000-2010: A decade in review #14

*the day my fate changed*

When: late July, 2002
Where: Kansas City, MO

It was the summer after high school graduation. I will be the first to admit that I was lazy that summer. I had applied to some jobs but never got one and didn't try hard enough to get one. I just remember sleeping in a lot. If it makes you (or me) feel better, I had never had a summer like that since high school began (I always had cross-country practice, summer school, and lifeguarding) and I have never had one since, so I guess it was ok for one summer right?

I had slept in to some obscene hour like 1 pm and usually when I did that I never wanted to answer the phone if it rang because I was too embarrassed that I sounded so sleepy. That day, the phone rang. I answered it. It was BYU calling for me. I was instantly awake and alert. The admissions counselor wanted to speak with me about my application and he explained that there had been a misunderstanding. I remember listening to him and searching frantically for my glasses. I couldn't see anything! and I wanted to write down what he was saying to me! I was completely blind. So I finally gave up and listened. (I think there could be some interesting symbolism in that) He told me that my high school never sent in my senior year transcript and because of that, my GPA appeared lower than everyone else's so my application was automatically denied. He then told me that if I went back to my high school and had them send in my complete transcript that there would be a very good chance that I would be accepted.

So I went to the  high school and had them send in the transcript. Get this. 2 weeks later I went back to check on everything and they still had not done it. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?! So they finally sent them in and I did in fact get accepted to BYU. The problem was that I had already been accepted to Truman State (Which in my opinion is the best school in MO 'the harvard of the midwest' and a very quaint and picturesque red brick campus with ivy growing on it.) and that is where Bremen was going to go when he got back from his mission. I had already made friends with the 3 girls who were going to be my roommates. So anyway. I decided to go to Truman. Crazy huh?

I think you all know that that is not where the story ends. Stay tuned to learn how I eventually ended up at BYU!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Just so you know, I've read all of these and loved them. I haven't made a lot of comments, but I wanted to tell you that.