Friday, December 11, 2009

2000-2010: A decade in review #11

continued from yesterday...

After sharing some of my lofty hopes and dreams that would cost a lot of money: Ann said, "I think now's a good time for your dad to tell you something..."


My dad lost his job. The maddening thing is that he lost it because of a lot of crap that happened while he was away in Utah helping our family deal with losing a baby and having a funeral. So that was another hard blow to the family. I'll never forget the effect this had on my dad. It seemed he almost instantly dropped 30 pounds, his hair turned white, he could hardly eat, and he never stopped job searching. I remember probably one Sunday when Adrianne and I were over there and we were all sitting in the living room talking about the situation. I knew my dad was stressed and depressed, but I didn't think anything the less of him. I told him that he could do anything. He was smart enough to do anything. He could start his own business. He could go a whole new direction. He could do anything, and I had faith in him. We don't say mushy stuff in our family, so maybe that was kind of a big deal that I said that. I felt a change in the room.

It's true that he is better off now. He is very successful and I am proud of him! And now that I am in the workforce I enjoy a new relationship that we share. I actually understand some of his business terminology and I am able to ask him for advice about my job and dealing with the next big obstacle.

stay tuned to learn more about the BYU admissions fiasco...

1 comment:

AdrianneJayne said...

GO DEPUTY DIRECTOR DAD!