*Chambry*
When: March 16, 2002
Where: Mom's house, Kansas City, MO then later Utah
I was chilling on the couch one early afternoon watching TV. I had early release schedule so I was out of school a few hours earlier than everyone else and I guess I didn't have my college class that day. I heard a knock at the door. I answered the door and it was Dad and Ann. Not unusual. But as I opened the door, they stepped inside. Unusual. We usually visited on the porch or out in the car. I had a strong feeling wash over me that something was wrong, so I turned off the TV and we all sat on the couch. Dad told me that Jordan had gone in the day before and everything was fine with her pregnancy. She was scheduled for a C-section that day, and had gone in, and the baby was not alive anymore. I started crying and I was mad at the doctors. I remember saying that these things are not supposed to happen anymore.
My mom was out there already, Bremen was on his mission, I don't know where my step-dad was, so it was just me and Adrianne at home. We had some friends that were driving out to Utah the next day, so we asked if we could go with them. I spent the rest of my afternoon finishing up my senior research paper that was like 20 pages. Amazingly, I was almost done with it already and just had to make a few edits. Anyone who knows me well, knows that that never happens and that this must have been a miracle. I went to the school and met with my favorite teacher, Mrs. Youngs. Before I could say anything, I started crying. She jumped up and closed the door and told her secretary to give us some time. I told her I had to turn in my paper a week early because I had to go to Utah. Then I told her everything and she started crying with me. Then she told me that she would take care of everything. She took me to the office and talked to everyone and told them I had had a death in the family. (ps. the office people loved my brother and asked about him in Russia everyday so I think they were worried it was him). Then I left and Adrianne and I started on a miserable car ride to Utah.
When we got dropped off at Jordan's house, it was amazing. My sister was an angel. She was sad, but she was strong and seemed happy and fortified. Same with Mike. They sat through meetings with friends who were helping to plan a service. I never saw so much food get delivered in all my life and soooooo many flowers. One time, the doorbell rang and I answered it and the flower delivery guy was super cheerful and said, "Is it your BIRTHDAY?!" I said, "No. We've had a death in the family." And his face fell and all he could say was, "Oh." I thought this poor guy was kind of funny actually.
Chambry was beautiful and perfect. Her mortal body rests in a grave next to her aunt Mary Lydia and now her brother Spencer. I know I'll see her again someday and she will bring so much joy to our family.
Wednesday, December 09, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
My heart HURTS to read this post. Your sister sounds like a very, very strong and brave woman. What happened to Spencer? I can't understand how some people are made to suffer in this life--and I certainly can't imagine how anyone could get through life without the gospel. I just think again and again of that scripture in Revelations about how God will wipe all the tears from all the faces of His children. What a wonderful day that will be.
I remember going to your swim meet (or something) with Dad. Then, we went home and Ann was sitting in a chair crying. We both sat down and she told us what had happened. I sat there for awhile, totally stunned. As soon as I could, I went upstairs to the spare bedroom. I started bawling. I didn't know what to do, so I just sad on the bed and cried. Before I knew it, Dad came in and hugged me. He said, "It just doesn't seem fair, does it?"... it's exactly what I was thinking and feeling. That is one of my most tender memories with Dad.
I also remember going to Mom's with dad and ann, and having to sit there while they told you what happened. I was crying of course, and it really stood out to me how you reacted. You were kind of mad, and that seemed to open my eyes to an array of emotions. Still, it's hard to think or talk about, but I do often because it was such an important experiences in my life.
Thanks for writing about this. I will always admire Jordan and Mike for their... strength, testimonies, composure.
Post a Comment