Monday, December 07, 2009

2000-2010: A Decade in Review #7

As part of my weekend home in Kansas City, I spent my Saturday morning with a woman I've known all my life from growing up in the Independence 4th Ward. Her name is Dee Nicholson and she witnessed first-hand the bombing of Pearl Harbor. She was about 3 years old at the time, and her family lived at the harbor. She saw Japanese bombers fly over the top of her house and she saw the faces of the bombers. She has written books and produced all kinds of educational materials. In honor of her and that event which occurred 68 years ago today, I will share my experience of the only thing in my life which remotely compares- the attack of the World Trade Center.

When: September 11, 2001
Where: Raytown High School, Kansas City, MO

Let's get one thing out, first thing. This was my eighteenth birthday. I was excited. I was wearing my awesome shirt that Lacey had bought for my in Japan and denim capris. I was so excited to have a great day. I went to my first class- photography. Then went to my second and favorite class that semester, Senior Composition with Mrs. Youngs. I loved her. I walked into the class and saw that the tv was set up and she was sitting right in front of it. I thought, "cool, we're gonna watch a movie today." Then she said the World Trade Center had been bombed. I was concerned but kind of just thought it was another bombing like what happened every now and again. After the class arrived we just kept watching. And kept learning more about what was happening. A girl in the class excused herself to make some phone calls because her uncle worked in the building. The class had a moment of silent prayer for her while she was gone. By then the first tower had fallen.

I was called out of class to do a mediation. Two girls were fighting and the principle called me down and a couple other students to conduct the session. I thought, "Really? This has to happen now?" I conducted the session and it was soooo petty and ridiculous. I said to those girls, "Look at what's happening outside in the world today. There are much bigger problems out there. You girls need to get a perspective on life." I was annoyed at them. By the time that mediation was over the second tower had fallen.

At cross country practice after school, our coach railed on us for an hour before we ran. He was so mean and was being such a jerk. I couldn't believe he would choose to add that much crap to an already crappy day and he knew it was my birthday and he still was mean to me.

We ran a pretty short run and we noticed the cars were already lining up at the gas stations. When we got back, I noticed my car was on empty and I had to get gas, so I waited in a super long line outside of the school to get to the gas station. It was sad.

Then Dad and Ann took me to the Olive Garden. They waited for us to finish and then closed early for the night. It was so depressing! I went home and cut out as many images of the building that I could find out of old National Geographic magazines and made a collage for a photo class project.

1 comment:

Jordan said...

I think every American will remember the events of that day. Such a horrific tragedy. But also a wonderful day because we celebrate the day you entered the world!
Love ya