Sunday, December 27, 2009

2000-2009: A Decade in Review #27

When: Fall 2007
Where: Provo, Salt Lake CIty, Utah

My former best friend, Sarah Totten, was doing a massive self-discovery road trip through the Western United States. She stopped in Utah for a few days to visit with me. The first night she came, I took her to Cafe Rio, the must-do restaurant in Provo. She's a vegetarian and just got rice and beans, so she really didn't care much about the place. As we were eating, I told her about my plans for the upcoming weekend. It was General Conference. I worried a little about that, because I like to watch all four sessions, and I didn't want her to be bored. I told her how much I loved General Conference and how excited I was to hear President Gordon B. Hinckley speak. I told her that I loved him, I believed he was a prophet of God, and I wanted to hear what he had to say. I had tickets to go to a session at the Conference Center and I invited Sarah to come with me. I nervously asked her if she wanted to come and then waited for her response. She smiled and told me she'd love to come. I was so happy! We went and she thought the experience was interesting. She even watched some of the other sessions. That weekend we stayed at Alisa's parents' house and had so many great conversations with her parents. After Sarah left, she sent me an e-mail telling me that she was happy for me in my life. She told me that she could tell I was deeply rooted in my religion and my life, and that was something she was trying to find for herself.

I loved seeing her again and sharing that part of my life with her.

No comments: