Thursday, December 31, 2009

2000-2009: A Decade in Review #30

When: February 2009
Where: Washington DC

I came to Washington to participate in an internship at the Hirshhorn Museum. I loved that museum. It was the perfect art collection for me. I had studied almost everything we had there. They were preparing for a big blockbuster show to come - a retrospective on the work of Louise Bourgeois. I studied her in my Contemporary Art class. We watched a movie about her and it showed Louise, an old woman, being accompanied by a long-haired, skinny, shabbily dressed man named Jerry. We all made fun of the old fashioned video and thought the interactions between Louise and Jerry and the interviewer were hilarious. Jerry became the mascot for the class and his name was brought up frequently.

When the show came to the Hirshhorn, I found out that 97 year old Louise would not be coming, but lo and behold, JERRY was coming! You better believe I was so excited to see him in person. The week before the opening he was in and out but I never saw him. THEN the night of the opening I was walking around and suddenly I saw this:


JERRY! A probably 30 year older version of the Jerry I saw in the film. I wanted to meet him so bad, just to say that I did. I was way too shy to approach him though. Luckily a buddy from my ward was there that night and he and some other guys were running around pretending like they owned the place. They were high-fiving the curator and calling her by her first name. They almost got in to the VIP dinner, but ended up getting free coupons for Hirshhorn's After Hours event instead. I think they were feeling very confident so one of them went right up to Jerry, introduced himself, and then said he'd like to introduce to him his friend. ME. I said hello and congratulated him on the show and then I got this:


Best. Day. Ever.

No comments: