Tuesday, December 15, 2009

2000-2010: A decade in review #15

Dear friends,
I'm enjoying posting some of these memories over the past 10 years. Some are profound moments that changed everything and others are whimsical moments that have made a lasting impression on me. Last night I came home and started planning some future posts and I ended up laying on my bed giggling alone in my room. It really is fun to narrow down 10 years into 31 posts-- I think it's the curator in me. I've neglected, however, to keep you all updated on things happening to me now. There might be multiple reasons for that. Some things- like seeing a certain someone again- are actually kind of hard for me to talk about. Many of you have asked for pictures, and I have some great ones, but I hesitate to post them because I have mixed feelings about those pictures. Maybe if I ever find a scanner I'll get around to it. I also want to share with you the wonderful sights and experiences of the Christmas season. Plus, there's the never ending work drama. So those might pop in here in between memory posts or I'll just wait till January. Don't know yet. Love you all and thanks for the comments!
_________________________________________________________________________________

When: December 2002
Where: Kirksville, MO

My first semester of college was coming to a close. The whole semester I knew I was going to transfer to BYU, but I wanted to at least give Truman a shot. Bremen and I had a great semester together including a surprise birthday party he threw for me, dinners every wednesday night, enjoying nature, helping each other study, hanging with the YSA crew, and attending the Kirksville family ward. I kept my acceptance to BYU a secret the whole semester. I didn't want that to keep me from making friends and finding a niche in Kirksville.

One late December evening, my 3 roommates and I were in our room, each doing our own thing in preparation for finals. I was IMing with Nick and he asked me if I had told the roomies I was leaving yet. I knew then was going to be the best chance I had. I told him I was going to do it. So I turned around from my desk and said, "You guys, I have to tell you something." And then I started crying. They all became very concerned and later told me they thought I was going to bawl them out for saying swear words every once in a while. ha ha! I told them I had found out late that my first choice school had accepted me and I was going to transfer. They were sad to lose me and I had really come to like those girls a lot.

They made me a farewell framed photo collage of all the fun times we'd had and a mixed cd of all the music we had jammed to over the semester. Those girls took me to my first of many frat parties (hee! hee!), listened to all my drama about Nick, always handed me the phone when the land line rang (...I was the only one without a cell phone...), worked out with me, and helped me lose 15 pounds that semester! Before I headed out to Utah, we had one last hurrah in St. Louis, where they took me all around. They were great and I wish we kept in better touch now days!

1 comment:

AdrianneJayne said...

I remember that dorm room! It was awesome! You took me to my first concert that semester-- Jimmy East world!